Sunday, July 15, 2007

Day nine in London

Apart from the rain and the extreme heat/muggy sickness that soon followed, today was actually pretty fun.

Mike and Stephanie took a train from the militart base in Bicester to London and we all walked around the city for a while. we first stopped inside a toy store called Hamleys and this place was probably the most incredible toystore I've ever been in. There were I believe six floors, not including the basement floor. Toys, stuffed animals, video games, board games, action figures, remote control cars, costumes, a candy store, arts and crafts, even a full restaurant. It was definitely like walking into a childhood dream of some sort.

We walked around for a little while longer, saw some of the royal guards, went back to the houses of Parlament and took more pictures of Big Ben.

After that we took a short subway ride to the British Library which was absolutely mind blowing. I was standing six inches away from the Magna Carta, the Gutenberg Bible, the scrolls of Ester, pages out of Leonardo Da Vinci's notebook, and original sheet music from Mozart and Beethoven. Oh, and also Beethoven's tuning fork. That was nuts. I bought a small souvenir book with all of the documents the library holds, but I'm going back again soon and buying a hard cover book.

Then we went to the Hard Rock cafe which was the first Hard Rock ever built so there was a ton of history in that place. The food was just mind blowing too. I don't know if it was just because I have been living off of canned ravioli, doughnuts and potato chips for the past week, but it was really good. The only downside was that the service wasn't all that great and the place wasn't air conditioned so I was pretty much melting the whole time. I'll still go back though for more spinach and artichoke dip with chicken, and blackened chicken pasta with chorizo sausage with a spinach alfredo sauce.

After that we headed home and I jumped in the shower because it was just way too hot, and it still is. My room feels like a sauna right now. I can't wait for early September when it starts getting really cold.

Here are some more pictures I took today:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

One of the many floors in Hamleys toy store.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

One of the royal guards. I couldn't believe the nerve of some of the tourists with their cameras flashing in the horse's face and people running up close to the guy to get a picture and freaking the horse out. Japanese tourists are so annoying.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Some huge building and a massive courtyard.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I really want this to be the name of my next band.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Another shot of the houses of Parlament.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Another shot of Big Ben. Pictures can't really show how massively massive it is. Not to mention it was all hand carved.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is where protestors gather to protest the war and other global and social issues, right next to the monument of Winston Churchill.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Poster for some big music festival. Dang.


Next week will be Warwick Castle and Oxford again. I'm actually looking forward to it. Oh wait, I'm actually excited about being in London now? Wow, this is strange. No amount of fun will keep me from thinking about home though, it just gets slightly easier day by day, and knowing I can get online and connect with everyone helps me immensely.

Goodnight everyone. I miss you all.

<3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy to see that you are having a good time. Sounds like Jeff's friends are nice people. Everyone loves your pictures, but I want to see some pictures of you, too. Hope your class went well today. You are going to learn so much more than just book larnin'. Hell, a lot of people can't even tell you where London is.
We finally got some rain this afternoon, but it was a deluge. The lightening really zapped the computers at work, so tomorrow should be fun.
You should consider buying a fan to move the air around in your room. You don't have to bring it home with you. Creature comforts help you get used to new surroundings. Keep a stiff upper lip as they say in jolly old England. Say Yo to the Queen for me. Love, Mom