Sunday, July 29, 2007

Day twenty five in London

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, there wasn't all that much to write about until this weekend...

Today and yesterday were pretty sweet. Yesterday me Jeff, Mike and Stephanie went back to Oxford and visited Christ Church where they filmed all of the Hogwarts scenes from the Harry Potter movies. It was pretty fun minus the hoards of Japanese tourists shuffling along like cattle and standing in everyone’s way. We then ate at this awesome authentic pizzeria where I had a grilled chicken, pesto, red onion and goat cheese pizza which was to die for.

Today Jeff and I took a train to Dover on the southeast coast of England to hike along the white cliffs of Dover. They are these massive bleach white cliffs made of chalk that stretch for hundreds of miles. We got some really good pictures, found a shipwreck, explored inside abandoned military bunkers carved into the side of the cliffs, and hiked along some pretty treacherous trails which made me feel like a kid again. I think mountain climbing might be something I want to pursue in the future.

Check out the pictures!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

One of the buildings inside the grounds of Christ Church where they filmed all of the Hogwarts scenes for the Harry Potter movies.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Awesome architecture.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The courtyard where they filmed the broom flying and Quiddich scenes for the Harry Potter movies.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Inside the Cathedral.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The burial site of John Locke. It is an honor for people of high status and importance to be buried in the floor of the church.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Testing my candle light setting on my camera.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sarcophagus of someone highly important.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The famous room where they filmed all of the Great Hall scenes inside Hogwarts.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Another shot.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Another shot.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

You can't see it well but that's the coast of France across the English Channel.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The white cliffs of Dover.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Another shot.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The landscape.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The landscape.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

One of the many hiking trails that I really loved.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Another hiking trail, a bit more treacherous.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I love this picture.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's hard to get the scale, but that's the rocky coast from about 500 feet below the cliff.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Check out the other hikers. It gives you some perspective of how massive these cliffs are.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More landscape.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Shipwreck. Totally own3d.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Haha, Jeff in the entrance to the military bunkers carved into the side of the cliffs.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Inside one of the machine gun turrets I'm assuming.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More bunkers.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Through one of the bullet holes.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The shipwreck below.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More cliffs.


Those are all the pictures I have for now. Bye bye everyone. I miss you all.

<3

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Michael,

Really nice pictures. They make great wallpaper on the computer. Glad to see you getting around. Take care of yourself and follow your own dreams. Have some fun and chill.

Love,
Dad

Emmasensei said...

jealous!!

Anonymous said...

I talked to Aleks this morning. the password for your portal is the last 4 digits of your social security number. She is sending you an email also. What beautiful scenery! I'm as jealous as Emily. I do hope you are working through things. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

A World War II song said, "There'll be blubirds over the White Cliff of Dover tomorrow when the world is free".

If Hitler had balls he would have been able to invade England and change the world. The forticications at Dover were to repell his expected invasion.

We are looking forward to seeing your family this weedend when the princess makes a caravan to the University of Virginia.

Grandfather