Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Day eleven in London

Today was yet another uneventful day for me. Pretty much Monday through Thursdays suck. I had my Organizational Communications class today. It wasn't very exciting and my teacher seemed angry about something. Oh well.

I need to go buy food and textbooks tomorrow and I'm sticking to that plan no matter what. Luckily I only have to buy one book I think.

I might venture out on my own a little bit tomorrow and find the fish and chips place called the Golden Hind. I've fallen in love with fish and chips and it's crazy because I'm not even that big of a seafood fan. I'm enjoying being open to new foods and different cuisines. I really want to try the Lebanese place here in London too. The one Lebanese place we went to in Oxford was pretty good.

Oh! I've also discovered the kebab which is absolutely amazing. It's way different from the familiar "shish kebab" that I thought I was going to get. Basically a kebab is just a big pile of french fries, grilled strips of chicken or lamb and garlic mayonnaise on top. Ok, so it sounds kind of gross but it really is amazing. I got mine without the mayo because it seemed a little much and I was going to put ketchup on it but I couldn't find it anywhere. Think of the food you get at the county fair and stuff, only this was way better. I'm definitely craving a kebab right now.

Well, I'm going to get some sleep now. Goodnight everyone. I miss you all.

<3

4 comments:

Emmasensei said...

You have to go to the Chinese district and also find a good Indian restaurant. There are excellent Indian restaurants all over Britian. You also might want to try a hole-in-the-wall Italian place.

Many Chinese restaurant menus are written in Chinese, so just point to something random and see what you get. It's fun.

For Indian, you would like tandoori chicken (it's chicken cooked in a special oven, ask for less spice if you can't handle a lot of spice). You would also like "samosas" (which are like Indian dumplings..sort of, not really...they have vegetables, potatoes, and spices inside). Finally, I recommend Chicken Tikka. Ask for "naan" on the side, which is just really tasty buttery bread.

For Italian restaurants, order "gnocchi," which are potato dumplings and usually served with a creamy sauce.

There you go, entirely too much culinary information.

Emmasensei said...

Also, according to Wikipedia, kebab is often served on naan bread as well, and is the typical food of "drunken students." I've never heard of this kind of kebab before; it's rather interesting.

Anonymous said...

Check your email, Mike. Your phone company is sending you mail saying you need to set up your voicemail before I can call you.

Some of the foods you have been trying sound really good. Do you miss hot dogs yet? We had one of the dinners we made at Lets Eat Dinner tonite. It was the chicken Mirabella, and it was delicious.

Is there a Harry Potter frenzy over there?

Keep the pictures coming. We love to see what you are up to. Call me. Love, Mom

susan said...

Listen to your sister!